Get up-to-date on two hot topics in women’s health: pre- and postnatal nutrition, and the affect of exercise on menopause. In this continuing education course, you’ll learn about the physiological, hormonal and metabolic changes during pregnancy, nutritional needs for each trimester and postpartum nutrition. Discover what you need to know to help your clients navigate through the stages of menopause and get exercise programming tips for the menopausal client.
Articles and the test from the May 2007 CEC Women's Health Issue of IDEA Fitness Journal.
After reading these articles, readers should be able to do the following:
- Understand the reasons that folic acid, calcium, iron and DHA are especially important during pregnancy.
- Describe a healthful nutrition plan for women in each trimester of pregnancy and during lactation.
- Specify the foods and beverages to be eschewed during pregnancy, and explain why women should avoid them.
- Cite exact additional caloric needs and expected weight gain for underweight, normal-weight and overweight women during pregnancy and lactation.
- List the physical and mental benefits to baby and mom from breastfeeding.
- Classify the stages of menopause.
- Discuss the effects of exercise on menopausal symptoms.
- Identify the effects of cardiorespiratory training on body composition for menopausal women.
- Summarize the positive outcomes of resistance training for menopausal women.
- Describe the Women’s Health Initiative Study results.